There are no specific Zumba shoes, but what is important is that you get sneakers that have the majority of the features that we discuss below.
- Comfort – Having comfortable shoes is one of the most important features that you can look for. You do not want to come to class with shoes that are too tight, do not fit and hurt your feet when you move. You will be doing a lot of dancing and it is very important to have shoes that are comfy.
- Flexible – Sneakers that are flexible are very good shoes for Zumba. These sneakers will be able to adjust and not be too firm when you are either doing lateral moves, dancing, shaking, turning, jumping, twisting and moving on the spot. Forget rigid sneakers for this activity.
- Get Dance Insoles – Aside from getting the right sneaker, it is also good to get yourself a nice pair of comfortable dance insoles. These insoles will give you extra comfort and cushioning, that is needed for this intense dance aerobics class.
When purchasing sneakers for this activity it is important that you do not purchase certain types of shoes. These shoes are not recommended for Zumba and there is a good possibility that you may injure yourself using them.
- Dance Sneakers – Even though this is a dance fitness class, it is not a good idea to buy dance sneakers to Zumba in. These shoes are designed for dancing and even though they may be flexible, they usually will not have the support that is needed for Zumba. There is a good chance of injury if you should participate with one of these sneakers.
- Running Shoes – These shoes are not recommended at all, mainly because of the grip they have on the bottom. Generally running shoes have very thick grip on the bottom of the shoe, this is to provide excellent traction when running. In Zumba, you are making side to side movements and the shoe needs to be able to glide across the floor. With excessive grip, this will not be possible. There is also a good chance that the grip on the running shoe could cause you to injure yourself.